apartments are all the rage right now. Whether it’s because they are cozier or
more affordable, there is an advantage in having a small apartment. At first
glance, small apartments can seem very confined and rather uncomfortable, but
the thing is, they don’t have to be. There are many ways to make a small space feel
homier, with the right colors and decor you can easily transform your tiny
place into a semi-spacious and cozy one.
tricks like the ones listed below can turn it all around; it all comes down to
creating the illusion that something is bigger than it is. On the other hand,
many make the mistake of misplacing certain items such as furniture and
decorative items, doing so can make you feel claustrophobic. These mistakes can
also make your space appear much smaller than they are, so the trick is to
choose the right colors, patterns and lighting, as well as paying attention to the
details. According to Architect, Ziad Haddad, simple tricks in decor can create
the illusion of a much larger space. Here are some crucial things to keep in
mind the next time you find yourself feeling suffocated in your own home:
- Always use a light color when painting the ceiling. Avoid dark colors as they often create the illusion that something is smaller than it is. One beneficial technique is to learn about shadows and color theory.
- A small bed in a tiny room can make it look even smaller! Go for a larger and a more elevated bed instead, it will also make you feel more royal.
- Use light colors for both your floors and walls.
- Pull the furniture away from the wall and place your furniture in the corner to make it the room seem more spacious.
- Choose vertical line patterns for the floor. Whether it’s a carpet or a parquet, you can always use this method to create the illusion of a larger room.
- One of the best tricks to make the house look even more roomy is using large mirrors. You can either hang them on the wall or place them on the ground.
- Make use of the sunlight to brighten up your place.
- Opt for small fabric patterns or single-colored fabrics when it comes to furniture.
- It is true that there is a common belief that small pieces of furniture are best for small rooms to make them look wider but, at the same time, a few larger pieces are recommended for smaller apartments.
- Add cabinets that go upwards towards the ceiling. The height of the cabinets will add to your room and give you space to place things instead of just hanging them anywhere.
- Do not place accessories and/or books on all the visible parts of the library’s shelf. Leave some of the shelves empty to create the illusion of more space.
- Match some of the furniture colors with the color of the wall while keeping it light.
- Add multiple sources of light. Remember, the brighter, the bigger, the better!
Nothing makes us feel more suffocated than confined spaces and while everybody needs their space, having a comfortable area to live in really does provide a better environment. There’s nothing stopping you from having yours, or creating it for that matter; make some changes in your space and you’ll notice the difference.